View Single Post
      10-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #70
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Except that the 335i actually has more like 350hp. There's a reason BMW under-rated the car so much, and it was to make the marketing arguement you're making right now. Let's work off of trap-speed instead.
Very wrong. The N54 has exactly 282.5 peak whp at 5610 rpms. at which point power and torque drop measurably all the way to 7,000 rpms, where it has only 260.4 whp and 203.6 lbs-ft (and only 162.5 whp at the rev range midpoint, but 283.6 lbs-ft.). That's no race motor...as they saying goes, high average whp wins races. Even my little 3.2 naturally aspirated S54 has 317 peak whp, and right where it needs to be--at redline (midpoint revs = 180.9 whp). During max acceleration, only the upper half of the powerband means anything, and that's not N54 territory. As for trap speed, only way to make a fair comparison is test the cars on the same day at the same location and all cars wearing the same rubber. And ultimately, that only proves which one is faster in that singular comparison. I can't remember the last time I did a 1/4 mile run on a public street. What really and truly matters in all this is the fun factor you get from the ride of your choice. I think it's great that 135i and 335i owners love their rides, even if they think the motor is more than reality. Harley riders think the same thing. A little off-idle grunt goes a long way to impress the narrow minded.

FWIW, I prefer the E46 M3 to the E92 M3. The E46 M3 is simply the industry standard sports coupe. The E92 M3 is great for sure, but too plush for my taste. Although the M-DCT is worth the price of admission.

And for those who think turbos have a modding advantage have never searched for performance parts for a E46 M3. You don't need any type forced induction to make a E46 M3 (or Z4 M for that matter) into even more of a track star than they already are. There are far better ways to make a car accelerate quicker than by adding power to the motor, which adversely affects economy and potentially warranties. Although, the S motors can gain there as well quite easily and far more reliably.

In the photo below, the BMW Motorsport (factory customer race car) Z4 M only produces 400 hp. But the car weighs little and for sure no hp is wasted.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 10-24-2008 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0