08-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #127
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
@Irb: Great post thanks for sharing all of that information about your background and future car choice. I think we see pretty eye to eye here. One small correction though. Heat (energy dissipated) depends only on mass and speed (and yes brake balance if one tire has more grip) the resulting temperature rise then depends on roughly in order the rotor weight, rotor specific heat (how much its temperature increases for a given energy input) brake cooling rate, brake system weight (including caliper and pad), and conductivity out of the system through the fluid route and the hub route. Heat and temperature are far from equivalent - not even the same units nor concept, but common everyday English diction causes confusion here as well.

@earlyapex: Great post as well. Welcome to the forum. Keep up the no nonsense style!
Thanks for the comment and info....

I gotcha, Heat dissipation is like saying energy dissipation dissipation. Temperature dissipation is the correct wording. Here's 2 questions that I was pondering today, its been a long time since Physics so I'm sure some of the engineers can help me.

1. Since gravity has a significant impact on V (uphill and downhill) and changes the amount of work needed from the brakes, a down hill braking section would require more work from the brakes, correct?
2. if you were to remove 200lbs from the interior of the car, and add 50 lbs to each rotor, how would this effect brake performance?
Appreciate 0