View Single Post
      09-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #25
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

those guys seem to really like the Oppo's. The older one is the 971, and a lot of guys on there rave about it, but I wonder if thats because they own them. The newer one is the 970, which was supposed to be an improvement, and thats the one i plan on ordering, but not as much rave reviews. I guess the number of reviews goes up with time.

Should i go ahead and get the oppo 970 or get the older 971 you think?
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd_compare.html

Q: What are the main differences between the OPPO DV-970HD and OPDV971H DVD players?
A: While both the OPPO DV-970HD and OPDV971H are excellent DVD players with high definition up-conversion, the OPDV971H emphasizes more on the video performance and the DV-970HD emphasizes more on the overall performance and value. The main differences between the two models are:

from their site:

"The OPDV971H features video processing with "DCDi by Faroudja" technology and video chipset by Genesis/Faroudja; the DV-970HD uses a different chipset and technology for video de-interlacing and up-conversion. While both player produce excellent picture quality and the difference is subtle, the "DCDi by Faroudja" technology is able to handle some tricky video contents. On very large TV or projector screens, the difference could be noticed by experts or videophiles. When benchmarked with contents designed to test video performance, the OPDV971H will score higher than the DV-970HD.
The OPDV971H has a DVI output for digital video; the DV-970HD has an HDMI output for digital video and audio.
The DV-970HD supports Super Audio CD (SACD) in addition to DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Audio CD etc. supported by both players.
The DV-970HD has a flash memory card reader and USB interface while the OPDV971H does not.
The OPDV971H front panel has a brushed aluminum finish; the DV-970HD front panel has a reflective mirror finish. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
They're all bone cheap because they're made with the same chipset. Check out avsforums.com and see what those guys have to say. If they like something, it's gotta be perfect because they're a bunch of HT snobs (I mean that in a good way).

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0