02-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
I wanted a M3 for many years and is finally able to get one soon, but the fact that it is about to be outdated with the new 3 series coming out got me thinking. The new 550i is also very good looking and will not be outed for about 7 years. Even though I don't like big cars, but the new 5 looks smaller than it actually is. I actually thought it was an E90 a couple times when I saw it on the road. It has a 4.4L V8, and is capable of doing 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque. I may be wrong, but the car tuned may be able to beat the M3 in everyday driving. Anyone know the straight line performance of the tuned 550i compared to the M3 and the previous M5?

M3
-it's a M
-good looking, but is about to be outdated
-engine not tunable, low torque

F10 550i
-good looking, won't be outdated for about 7 years
-4.4L, tunable, 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque

Opinions guys?
I was in this spot 3 month ago...and I am in an m3 now.The best decision that I ever made point blank.

I test drove the 550, 535, 335is, and c63 and e63. The Merks were out of the consideration as they are nice cars but not driver cars, just too mooshy for me.

The 5 series is big and heavy, but it has the torque and is sporty. I have to admit that I was more impressed by the 550 than the e63 on handling and overall package for the price.

The m3 is a dual personality car. You get a family car that by a press of a button or throttle gives you the performance might I say of a sports bike??!?

Steering response, handling, and chassis are incredibly nimble and capable. The engine is on a different level, this v8 loves to push the limits. I never owned a car that shines at rpm north of 7000, I did own bikes that revved that high and performed similarly to this m3. That's why I love this car.

This m3 is 9x is considered the last naturally aspired m3 engine, with time I predict it will be placed as high as the m3 e30 2.5 euro spec which made me love this car 20 years ago.

Test drive them both back to back for a good hour or so. They are both nice cars, I would pick the M3 anyday.
Appreciate 0