SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
I've only used a Dynex $30 Monopod once at a car show and they seem quite useful as an alternative to tripods when you need to be on the move, or the event you've attended doesn't allow the use of one.

I will be going to Whistler with my family to take pictures and I can pretty much take everything that I have for my camera with me. I'm beginning to get serious with making my pictures as sharp as possible, and one of the best ways to do that is with something to support the camera, reducing vibrations.

A monopod would be a great alternative to a tripod because they're much lighter, easily and quickly collapses, and can double as a walking/hiking stick when you're climbing a hill

The problem is, to my understanding at least, is that all monopods function pretty much the same way, and do their jobs just as well, equally.

I ran into a $100 Velbon Carbon Fiber monopod at Best Buys and decided to pull it out of its box. It extends to the same height, provides the same stability, and same function as a $30 Dynex monopod. What gives? It's certainly lighter, but given that it's $70 more for a few less ounces, is it really worth the extra money?
Just ready an article in one of my Photo mags which ad a Monopod review (6 or 8 'pods'), I;ll dig it and out and see what they said you need to look for.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0