FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
-

Having lived in N America, Europe and the Pac region I do believe that gasoline is underpriced in the U.S. But we are well and truly hooked on low-priced fuel

Hence a lack of decent public transport where I live: I would be fine w/ riding on a train to work and keeping the sports car for the purpose for which it was designed: tracks, not stoplights' drag races.
That's the thing - without quality public transit we need low price fuel or we become immobilized, essentially. I'm guessing that most of us who are fortunate enough to own E9x M3s can handle gas in the $5 to $10 per gallon range without experiencing a true hardship, but we're the minority. There are so many NIMBYs who have shunned and fought against plans to extend public transit into the suburbs for so long, and now we're suffering for it. In fact public transit is a joke in quite a few major US cities. In Los Angeles, a city that would hugely benefit from a good light rail system, every attempt to expand it gets knocked down. Same goes for Miami, Atlanta, and elsewhere. As many problems as Washington DC has, their metro rail is very well done.
Appreciate 0