07-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I just stomp on the clutch and go to the floor. Its all about timing. I'm not wasting time and effort trying to be smooth and precise.

If you are worried about wear and tear...the worst thing a lot of people do is sit at traffic lights with the clutch pedal in...it engages the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. So you're introducing unnecessary wear on the pressure plate fingers and MOST OF ALL...the throwout bearing.

Historically, BMW throwout bearings are plastic, cheap, don't handle heat well and are usually in some state of failure when its time to do a clutch. More often, I see people replacing clutches because they had to remove the tranny since the throwout bearing failed.

I would guess that BMW has not really reinvented the throwout bearing since they will generally lasy 100k miles. But I'd definitely pay for a high quality throwout bearing if the aftermarket were to offer one.
you are kind of a caveman. i do this also but find it makes left foot braing that much more difficult because you dont modulate at all just stomp like the clutch.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0