11-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
I think it looks stupid, and cheap. I am all for smartphone integration, but the screen is too small and the fact it clips in scares the crap out of me. I really hope they thought that part through and really secure it. In the event of a collision, the phone can instantly be turned into a very dangerous projectile. The screen is also to small for me.

It is a very valiant effort on BMW's part to integrate our mobile devices, but I highly doubt anyone will buy a BMW just for this. If anything, its a way for them to make a quick buck out of people who would normally order "stripper" cars.
Wow, that's a lot of harsh responses...

My car is hardly a stripper car. If I ordered my car without iDrive, it was not because I couldn't afford it. It was because I didn't want it.
I actually think the current generation iDrive is nicely done. However, I didn't want it for 2 reasons:
1. I don't like the "second hump": I think it is poorly integrated in what is otherwise a clean and sporty looking dash
2. Embedded navigation gets obsolete very quickly. I plan to keep my car for a while. When I need Nav, I used my Garmin.

Provided the BMW Station for Apple iPhone is nicely integrated with the non-iDrive E9X dash, I think it is going to be great (that's still a question in my mind: Where will be the recommended install location).

And the iPhone cradle actually looks like a very nice design.

We'll see. Still excited!

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0