09-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
There will be tons of dealers in Northern California that will mark up the M3 and will not lose any business in the process due to market demand and deep customer pockets. When I bought my M3 new in 2003, almost all dealers were marking up by 5k and that's after the M3 had already been out for a few years. I ended up buying my car from a dealership in southern CA. in Palm Springs at MRSP. Yes I had to pay for a flight down there but at least I didn’t give the NA dealerships extra money in their pocket.

BTW...most of the all the Northern CA dealers at that time didn’t hesitate to say you have to pay a premium because high demand and yet not to even try to soften the message or apologize.
Was the 5k markup on the '03 M3 the transaction price? I truly doubt it. Asking price is not the transaction price. I've seen a VW dealer markup every single car in its lot by $3k. Did that mean they were getting what they were asking for? By '03, the M3 craze had died down. There is no way any sane consumer would have paid the additional markup. And, dealers act agressive when such tactics are questioned--just to intimidate the consumer. That doesn't mean anything.
Appreciate 0