View Single Post
      06-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #39
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
IDK, the driver looked pretty smooth to me, but what do I know.
What would you guess his time could be if he was less severe?
There are several seconds lost in his throttle application. Ill explain it in the most understandable way I can and hopefully it makes sense. The problem is created when he is impatient and goes to the gas too soon, this causes the weight to transfer to the rear tires which in turn lifts the nose of the car. This lowers the cornering speed of the car because the front has more grip when its loaded(on brakes or off the gas) versus unloaded(on the gas), so he then has to get all the way out of the gas which slows the car down substantially because of how much cornering load and bind the car has in it and also retransfers the weight to the nose thus picking up the grip again and then Jim can get back on the gas.

He hurts his corner exit speed through doing this, In some places it can only cost half a tenth or a tenth of a second, but other times it can cost half a second or even a whole second. Ill let you draw your own conclusions on an actual number in seconds of how much time is lost.

Now youll want to think well yeah he makes that mistake a few times, but how many other times is he spot on getting on the gas and doesn't lose anytime or even picks up time. But it doesn't work like that, because there are plenty of professional GM factory drivers that can do the lap with A LOT less time given up.
Appreciate 0