View Single Post
      07-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I think I am frustrated and this is a way to get my frustration out. I guess I expected the M division to produce miracles like they have in the past in regards to annihilating their competition.
I just think M focuses way to much on electronic aids, which started with the E60 M5. I did read your good information on DI in the other thread. I believe the M boys have the R&D talent to introduce some form of DI into this engine, if they would have only made it a priority. And the brakes, what can you say about brakes with track pads that fade quickly. Would you have gladly paid well into the 60s for a stripper M3 with better brakes, steering feel and DI technology? I know you appreciate the archaic driving experience of 6MT cars as well. If you find out more information on Porsche DI technology let me know. Thanks.

Ruff,

I understand your post, and its direct relationship with the somewhat under-performing report from the reporters/journalist thus far. I find myself wondering a times exactly where your thoughts wander to, but then I am often reminded of the E46 M3 days as well. It seems to me that the E46 went through a rash of criticism only to prove the skeptics and cynics wrong.
True that the dynamics of the playing field has changed significantly, and none of us as of the moment truly know how the E9x M3 will fair against the competition: C63 AMG, RS4, IS-F, etc.
My guess is only time will tell.
Have the engineers lost focus- I don't know.
Does BMW have what it takes to respond should they find the M3 wanting with respect to the competition- I would want believe the answer is yes. It almost the story of the regular 3 series, first it created a segment, then there were series of assaults and it just made the 3 series better.
The danger with this analogy is how much of a damage will that have on BMW if the competition proves to be ahead of it? Are they willing to take that chance- I don't know.
But I do understand your frustration, considering that I am looking at this car as a potential new car.

regards
Appreciate 0