04-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

6MT vs M Double Clutch Transmission

Hey guys,

I've finally sold my 335i and the 850i. It's time to get into the M3 having said that I made the mistake of driving a 09 M3 with M Double Clutch Transmission today.

All of my cars have been manual for reasons I don't have to go into as I'm sure many of you know why. After driving the M Double Clutch Transmission M3 today I was left speechless and for the first time ever am considering buying it instead of the 6MT.

I have read over 20 pages of what people have said about the two transmissions. After reading many rants about mine is better, no mine is, I'm left with some unanswered questions:

1) Has anyone like Fifthgear tested the difference in speed between the two? How much faster is the DCT? (I wasn't able to find anything on YouTune)

2) Launching with the DCT? On occasion I love to burn some rubber in 1st & 2nd gear. With the 6MT that's not much of a problem because I can rev it up before the launch. The DCT I know has a Neutral gear but are you able to rev it up and press the peddle into first gear to get that nice burning launch?

3) Revving while moving. Say we are in 3rd gear rolling, are we able to rev the engine by placing it into neutral?

4) Previous 6MT lovers. I would hate to regret the decision of going DCT especially on a car that costs this much. Those of you who have been in love with Manual and have switched to DCT, do you have any regrets?

Thanks for the help.

Ado
Appreciate 0