07-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by human View Post
Some of the initial reviews hammer the steering (not enough feedback, etc.), which is unfortunate because BMW has been known over the years for great steering! Is it too late for BMW to fix / upgrade any steering issues for the initial production run? How long would it typically take to address such a problem?

I do happen to like that there is a setting that lightens the steering, at least when you want it to be light. In my previous 330, around town (I live in a city and I drive a lot), the heavy, somewhat long steering (for a sports sedan) became very cumbersome after a while. I didn't have active steering and I suspect that this would have made life easier.

One final question- does anyone know how many turns lock-to-lock for the new M3?
There was a short discussion on this a while back. Some people thought it was too late. I think it is never too late for a car manufacturer to do small tweaks on the soft variables such as the level of steering assist and so on. That said, we don't know if BMW thinks there is a problem or not, and they are unlikely to respond unless they are convinced there is a major problem. The real problem is that we actually don't really know yet if there is a problem with the steering as we have seen mixed reviews.

Moreover, if there is a major issue with steering under aggressive driving, it is plausible that it will take more than a minor adjustment to tailor it to your preference--meaning you might need to modify some of the mechanics behind it.

Last edited by lucid; 07-14-2007 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0