View Single Post
      01-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ View Post
I would wait a few months, intel will release more of their new CPUs and they will be much lower in price.
This guy knows his stuff.

The latest rumor's on nVidia's first next generation release (GK104), expected launch moved up to February to match AMD's early January launch, speeds much faster than AMD's 7970, most rumor's say it beats the 7970 in all areas.

The most interested article i read was from semiaccurate, which have a reputation for being completely anti-nVidia. They even said that the next GeForce card will 'beat in all areas' the 7970. Read the comments, his readers can't even believe he said it.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/19/n...-clear-winner/

On a different topic, seems like you are trying to upgrade a Dell prefab computer. I would probably not attempt this, and start from scratch on a new computer wholely. The reason being that Dell tweaks all their components to work with their own system. Which makes getting compatible replacement parts a hassle when not using Dell directly for the upgrade.

In march, Ivy Bridge will release on the LGA 1155 socket. This will come with motherboards that have PCI-E 3.0, quad-channel ram, and native USB 3.0. In addition to the new tri-gate transistors in the Ivy Bridge chip, the die shrink down to 22nm will let you run the chip with 'less power: more performance'.

To go back to your original question though, why do you think you'll need a new mobo to upgrade a video card?
There shouldn't be an compatibility issues between your pci-e 2.0 and the latest cards come out. Even the stuff rated at PCI-e 3.0 right now can still run off a pci-e 2.0. The only reason I can think of is because you have a dell, and they put in ducting into the case. Perhaps you don't have enough physical room for a bigger card? But you can always remove the ducting.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 01-23-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0