06-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I agree. It would be unwise for BMW to go into the 60k base range, they would lose customers to the New Skyline Twin Turbo and especially to Porsche. Price will be determined by standard equipment. Base with lots of options as standard could push into the high 50s. I hope it comes with few options so the base is lower. This way I can get a lighter car and can choose what options I feel are must haves rather than BMW making the desision. BMW would make more money this way because most people will look at the price as reasonable then overspend by loading it up with expensive options. The options are where car companies make their easy money. I would suspect the DCT will be a fairly expensive cost option over the MT to cover R&D costs.
I agree with most of what you are saying. In order keep out of the 911s way, BMW will have to sell the base M3 relatively bare bones, just like Porsche does with the 911, and the options will add up fast. I don't think BMW needs to recover the full R&D costs of DCT from E92 sales though. If it turns out to be any good, I'm sure it will find its way into many other BMW products, so the cost recovery could be spread out.
Appreciate 0