10-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #251
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
You're the man, Kawasaki, for getting this data. In your opinion, are bearings with harder surfaces more likely to score the crank, instead of being a consumable on the cheaper, more serviceable bearing? Just curious, seems there's always a catch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks Kawasaki.
How does your polishing compare to the WPC process AutoTalent had used on their bearings that apparently may have increased clearances too?

Is a harder bearing a good thing or a bad thing?

Thanks again.

The harder the bearing the more of a beating it can take before it starts to degrade. You are right there is a catch to the hard bearing. Once it starts to go it will tear the journal up easier and make a full on rebuild more likely. The softer lead bearing is much easier on the crank but seems to be more susceptible to breaking apart faster.
Unfortunately I cant really talk about what was done to the polished bearing though. I will say it is a different process than the WPC, not better just different.
If the clearance can be brought up to a more acceptable level with the newer bearings then I would not have a problem running them. I do how ever have a problem running the harder bearing when the clearance is tight. IMHO this is part of why the newer 2011 and forward cars are more likely to kick the rods out during that first 25/30k miles. At least with the softer bearing it will be much more forgiving if it is tight.