View Single Post
      10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Rain driving is an EXCELLENT learning tool. IMO, it separates the men from the boys. I remember driving an entire weekend in low 40's/high 30's in the rain. That event really fixed my throttle smoothness issue as well as really improving my looking and thinking ahead.

I find the worst part about rain driving is when its drying out. Because you're going a little faster and really not sure if there's more grip...before you know it your sawing the steering wheel trying to save it.

If you think RA is slick in the wet...try Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. The dry line is like an ice rink.
Completely agree about the 1/2 and 1/2 scenario. Either wet or dry, the tweener is what bites you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Yes you will find grip on the outside of the carousel in the wet. Because the inside is where the dry line is, it is very polished and slick in the rain.
The outside was like it was dry, was crazy, but definitely opened my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
It rained like crazy over here, so I had a feeling you would be effected. My last outing at road america sucked too cuz, I couldn't get the car to function. She kept throwing codes. I'm going to gingerman on saturday, for their season ender, wanna come with? It's an open house, so $150, and you can race from 9-5. Only novice or advanced. Should be fun.
I'll be there
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Very cool video! I can definitely see how this is a great learning experience.

Did you run with normal DSC On or MDM?
What are you gauges measuring?

Great video as always! Hopefully I can join you all next year if my schedule allows!
Full DSC and dialed the shift speed down to 2, no M button. Checking water temp, oil temp and oil pressure on the gauges, but TBH there more for show than go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Great video! Love driving/racing in the rain, you're right it really puts a premium on proper technique. And it is surprising sometimes how much the best line can vary in the rain and where the grip is. No matter what track you are on, if its wet always try experimenting with your line.
Yeah... Almost looking forward to another rain day... almost