08-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #93
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
The FIRST thing I would do to start solving the problem would be to immediately close the borders and control entry into the country.

No, I have not read that book. I've made a note of it and maybe I'll check it out. Have you read, In Mortal Danger by Tom Tancredo? I would also be interested to hear what you thought of it.

I'll make you a deal, you read my referral, and I'll read yours. Let me know.
CMD - first off - I am pleased you recognised the impression created by your original sig - that's the main reason why I posted my reponses.

So what do you mean by 'close the borders' do you mean no freedom of movement into and out of America?

And as to controlling entry into the country ..... why does this not happen currently ?

I think your book swap suggestion is a fair one and I will look out for the book you referenced, but ...I think it will be difficult to find in this country and (having read the reviews) I have a sneaking feeling I may not warm to the author.

The Tortilla Curtain on the other hand I read for entertainment - it's effectively a satire - and it offers no answers ... but it provokes thought:

http://www.readinggroupguides.com/gu...la_curtain.asp

What I took from this book .... and this is the essense of my position .... is that no matter how badly you might feel the illegal immigrant situation is damaging your country .... you are much more fortunate than the illegal immigrants themselves. In short - count yourself lucky to be born into a country where you have opportunity.

On a similar level - I wonder if you have read 'the grapes of wrath'?

I'd feel pretty relaxed about a discussion regarding police methods etc to tackle illegal immigration and those who profit from it.

But I'm pretty incensed by a discussion about how awful illegal immigrants are and how they are personally to blame for the America's problems.

I hope you see the distinction - to me it is not the immigrants themselves who are causing the problem - their actions are understandable and to an extent excuseable. The problem is caused by:

1. The people in charge of undeveloped countries who squander their resources
2. The developed world which does little to really help the undeveloped world
3. Those people in countries like the USA who profit from illegal immigrants by:

a. Taking money off them to smuggle them into the country and supply papers
b. Getting them to work for pittance to avoid paying tax or proper wages

4. The authorities when the fail to police the borders adequately

The trouble with these issues is that they are bandwagons for racists and bigots - reference our own BNP.
Appreciate 0