02-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #90
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
I almost went to med school; went to law school instead (and became an intellectual property attorney). some days I think that I made the right decision, others I don't.

The grass is always greener, etc.

To the OP: med school is a monumental olibgation - an obligation that requires a lot of time (~10 years) and, unfortunately, an absurd amount of money (some schools are apparently now charging 70k a year in base med school tuitition?).

whether or not you should be buying a M3 should really be the last thing on your radar.
Smart move on law school. You'll never work for free like private guys do all the time when some person with no insurance gets hospitalized and you get called to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Hey, I'm not saying Kaiser is a bad system. There are definite perks. I know my buddy gets an astronomical time off (I think 3 months) and then there's that pension when you retire.

Everybody has to figure out what they want. It's just not for me. Like I said, I love the autonomy and having nobody to answer to other than the bottom line. You may be right that the private practice model will die out and probably it will die out for the solo group/private practitioner. Currently, our group is within a larger group. We are made up of many different individual practices and number 170 or so orthopods, ENT, and general surgeons. The advantage of this is that it gives you the bargaining power of a big group, but still allows your group to operate autonomously.
I'm with you dude. I tried Kaiser. Couldn't stand a dumbass nurse telling me what I could and couldn't do. Or a secretary plugging a pt into an open slot when from an hour ago. Or a consultant giving me a hard time when I ask for some help because they have no incentive to see any extra patients.
Having said that, the Pension, 401 and Common plan are badass.

How do you structure the group within a huge group nthats something I'd like to do in my area.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 02-16-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0