View Single Post
      11-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Exclamation What's the Issue?

In response to the thread entitled "A cynic's view into the M3's crystal ball of flames" I have to say there is a problem, but not only the M3. Addressing the first issue: performance, it seems to me that the standard BMW's seem to hold their own and fend off competition very well... but the M cars on the otherhand. Even the pioneering M5 cuts it sooooo close to the competition its not even funny, same with the M6 and now the M3. Why though? Here is my theory, BMW spends alot on R&D for all of its cars but on the M cars they spend twice as long designing (7 years average) the latest M3 was being designed almost as soon as the E46 went on sale. I think that all that marvelous chassis, handling, balance, feedback and other stuff sort of becomes limp wristed when the power just isnt there and thats what is afflicting the M cars. The new M3 ought to have had 430HP and 301-320 FTLBS of torque, that would easily have pushed it into Ferrari territory, and the steering: put in the more mechanical system for more feel. Other than steering feel and thrust and maybe weight is there anything wrong with the M3? not according to the various magazines and owners that have reported theire toughts. Every magazine Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motortrend, and even the highly over critical Automobile Mag said "among its competition its still the drivers car here". So isnt that what we all wanted? for our beloved to be better than the competition? Second issue sales I dont understand why M cars are slow selling these days but hey Mercedes dealers are packed with unsold AMG's and Audi packed with un wanted S, RS's. I think BMW should make the M cars more custom order... meaning that there arent just a bunch of demo's sittin on the lot. I guess the market (for AMG and RS and even M) is starting to go stale. What do you guys think the problem is ?

Oh also to consider... the CSL, lets hope BMW learns some lessions from the standard car and fixes them for the big dog version. This will for sure determine if BMW really have their hearts in the right place.
Appreciate 0