04-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyapex View Post
here's a chart I put together showing various ring times as a function of power to weight.
Just FYI Lucid and I worked on regression analysis extensively and posted our results here. Large data sets, small data sets, outlier analysis, probabilities, effect of Cd and skidpad results, all sorts of analysis. Of course the basic conclusion about the GT-R is the same as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
And, no the probability of the GTR, with its published specs, doing what it is doing is not 0, but it is pretty damn low...
Yup.

From my post here.

Quote:
A 7:29 lap, with the stated hp and weight of the GT-R (in the expanded list of about 75 data points (cars)) is over performing by 3.5 standard deviations. A 3.5 sigma (or greater) event is equivalent to a probability of 0.00007% (and yes I already multiplied the actual probability by 100 to make it a percentage!).
That is just under a one in a million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Listen I know all about the regression and what should be achieved but this regression has been developed using all of the above times and more as a reference point. But as each aren't achieved by one driver on the same day in the same condition it is at best a very rough rule of thumb to what each car should be capable of.
The driver is absolutely an effect and we have discussed that ad infinitum. However, with posts like this one you constantly display your lack of understanding of statistics and random sampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeS4 View Post
Whether the GTR is under-rated on the first 7:29 run and this second run, i don't think we'll be able to prove it unequivocally without any solid data and proof. We can speculate till we turn blue and show all of the scientific and mathematic equations and it still won't prove anything unequivocally and in the end we're still only speculating. That being said, i don't believe it ran those times with only 480hp, therefore i do believe both cars that ran those times where under-rated. But i also do believe both of those times and that both runs did happened.
I don't think anyone really argues that a GT-R car did not actually complete the laps in the stated times. The question has always been what are the details of those cars that did these laps. And although we have no truly rigorous/mathematical proof any anything. The statistics described just above are sufficient proof to me of a significant underrating.
Appreciate 0