View Single Post
      12-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #145
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
No attacking Bruce. You are simply wishy washy to the absolute limit on this topic and it is 100% apparent from you posts. First you say there is absolutely no evidence for an under-rating then you admit the car may be under-rated and are willing to discuss the evidence. Which the hell is it and if the former why all the discussion?...
Wrong again. A cursory re-read of the string would show that this simply isn't so. Aside from a small disagreement about what is evidence and what really isn't, I've been repeating (over and over and over, ad nauseum) that the jury is still out on the GT-R as far as actual vs rated power.

In fact, I took that tack mainly to see if I could get you to move even the slightest on a previously stated position. What I really think is that the GT-R is a Porsche Turbo without the penalty of having the engine positioned in a different zip code. However, there was a zero point zero percent chance you would ever move toward that kind of stated position, hence my attempt at something more attainable from you.

Now, after approximately fourteen billion posts on the topic with you being dragged, kicking and screaming all the way, you post the following (in another string, yet!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
...It sounds like the launch control and DCT together are contributing to the cars fantastic peformance numbers. LC+AWD seems like the keys that are really getting it off the line so quickly. 3.3 s

...These pieces of evidence do support the argument (contrary to much of my previous thoughts) that the car may not be under-rated in power. I'd say the jury is still out, but again this is good evidence pointing to a legit power rating.

...I'm definitely going to run some more simulations to see if I can improve the traction or other transmission parameters to get anywhere close to these times with CarTest. Should be interesting.
Now of course we know that launch control will have essentially zero effect on trap speeds (and DCT has obviously been a given), but this gives you an opportunity to weasel away from an untenable position while still possibly retaining some level of dignity.

My question might be "What the hell took you so long?", but I already know the answer.

Swamp, you are a giant pain in the ass (and as a card-carrying Charter Member of PITA International, I speak with authority), but you are also my favorite pain in the ass.

You're intelligent, smart, articulate and passionate, and a very strong contributor in these and other topics.

In short, Swamp, you are the real thing. What my military son would call a "thirty pound head". He's an intelligent man himself (and didn't get where he is by being a dummy), but says he likes to "sit in the back with the other ten pounders".

The problem is, you have doubts where none are justified, hence the almost instant attack mode when disagreements arise. There's also the fact that, as with many other folks in a position where they've established something of a reputation, you end up spending a bunch of your time and energy defending instead of using what got you that reputation in the first place.

Folks may think your ego is too big, but my contention is that it's not big enough - and it's way too fragile. Speaking of which, the most remarkable thing I've noticed about fighter pilots in general (mostly Navy, but also Air Force when I've watched them congregate after joint "practice" missions), is that their egos are so damned big that they are completely invisible - and pretty much impregnable. They basically feel that they don't need to prove a thing against anybody but another fighter pilot.

Swamp, when your inner confidence level matches your capabilities, you'll be a better contributor. We are who we are, but we can all be better.

In this recent situation, can you see that you risk more credibility by defending like this, rather than early on saying you may have drawn an incorrect conclusion?

Bruce

PS - Yeah, I know you'll essentially read this as an attack and respond accordingly, but remember this post in the future.
Appreciate 0