View Single Post
      10-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #76
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

OK, I finally found the time to read through all this. Great discussion IMO! Thanks for taking the time to post this Swamp.

Swamp has done a great job in presenting a case for his estimate, and Footie has done an equally solid job critiquing it. (I think Swamp should give Footie more credit considering Footie does not have a technical background despite the fact that Footie does seem to wonder off topic at times.)

A few questions/observations for Swamp:

1. Where is the spreadsheet??? I wanted to see the numbers, but can't find the file anywhere on this thread. Am I just overlooking it somewhere?

2. Wind is modeled as static force, which is probably not the case. I am not an expert on weather dynamics, but I bet surface winds change direction often, and there is the possibility of short gusts, and even direction reversals depending on topography, etc.

3. You are agreeing that a static 15mph tail wind would validate the observed performance of a 530hp GTR, and saying there is no reason to believe that is the case since Nissan would not have ran the test under windy conditions. I don't think that is sufficient rationale. It might be possible that the track layout and the geography, in conjunction with a specific wind direction on a specific day, might actually result in positive net tailwind on the faster straights on a windy day. In order words, roughly speaking, one might trade off headwind on slower parts of the course for tailwind on the faster parts.

4. You are using a WOT assumption for all cars throughout the section you observed. I don't drive on tracks at those speeds, but when you are on such long straight at such high speeds, there might be reason/hesitation not to go absolutely WOT all the time. Since I can't see the spreadsheet, I can't comment on this in more detail.

5. As Bruce mentioned, atmospheric conditions on the different days might lead to output differences.

6. Does your CarTest speed vs. time output match the speed vs. time data on the ZR1 run precisely over time during the duration? Again, I can't see the data for myself. You have only reported time to complete the track section on this thread.