06-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
The Bugatti isn't a pure driving car. The Lamborghinis are becoming more so than what they used to be, but Ferrari is starting to lose some of the points of pure driving pleasure.

You see, people tend to use their sports/super cars more and more each day, so they wanted them to be easier to drive and do their daily stuff without losing much of the fun-ness. So yes, an M3, any Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. can still be fun with DCT or automatic trannies. However, you're missing the most important point of driving it: the actual driving part.

An M3 is fun with M-DCT or with a manual transmission, but it's not the same experience.
Couple of comments...

If you think Ferrari has "lost something" than I would ask how/why you say that. I don't recall anyone who has spent time in a 458 noting that it was less fun than a 360? Have you had the opportunity to spend significant time in a 360 and now a 458 or is your comment speculative because YOU prefer a 6MT?

Ferrari has commented that they use DCTs to improve performance NOT because they care about making a 458 DD friendly nor, would I bet, that any notable portion of their customer base use a 458 as a DD. If you think that Lambo or Ferrari now ONLY offer DCTs to make their cars more DD friendly then I suggest you might have had a few too many beer tonight

I have owned both trannys on the E92 M3 and can attest... with experience... that the both are just as fun, just as involving but, as you correctly state, just slightly different.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0