02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Some thoughts:

When your car comes off of the boat, it is driven off by port workers---May not be the best idea to let the break in fluids go over the recommended interval, and then end up in the hands of someone at the Elizabeth/Newark ports listening to the 8-instrument symphony at 7800+.
Good point and it makes me wonder something I've never thought about before. That is, do they put the cars back into shipping mode before shipping them back to US? I would have to guess yes, which means the M won't rev all the way to 8400RPM (I forget what the limit is in shipping mode). But yes, still, a good idea to have the car serviced beforehand because you don't know exactly how many miles will be put on it during shipping.

Quote:
Also, Same deal as the port workers taking the vehicles off of the ships, they end up going to a corporate "checking out" process, where any dents, dings, scratches (probably your wifes curb rashed wheel) are corrected before they even get shipped to the dealer. Assumption being that the costs incurred to replace that wheel never were passed to the dealer. Was just simply handled by BMWNA, cutting out the middleman so to speak.
Exactly, and that's kind of my point. In that same way, the cost for the initial service could also be handled directly by BMW USA and never passed onto the dealership either. And if not the whole thing, then at least a portion based on how much the service would have cost them if you had had it performed at a US dealership.
Appreciate 0