View Single Post
      12-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Well said. I have about 40,000 street miles under my own belt. Motorcycling is indeed a constant learning experience and what you said about traffic is correct. I tried to touch on that with the "Control your wrist" comment the other gentleman made, but just adjusting your wrist because it's sore/stiff could send you hurdling into the car in front of you. Modern sportbikes have enough power to literally throw you off the back if you chop the throttle. Check youtube and watch how many videos there are of sportbikes flying into the back of cars. Those are guys on bikes bigger than they should be on, and garaunteed every one of them would have told me I was stupid or a pussy for suggesting they're on too big of a bike 10 min before their wreck.

Always have respect for your motorcycle, because as soon as you loose it, you'll wreck.

Having said all this, OP, motorcycling has been one of the greatest experiences of my life thus far. Not only for the sport, but also for the community involved with it. Good luck!
Hopefully the OP will take our advice and keep a level head about it.

I remember my first ride with my bother (who was a motorcycle courier in Washington DC) on his early 70's 3-cylinder Suzuki 2-stroke. I was probably 9 years old. We went blasting up the hill on Chainbridge road and it scared the living crap out of me while at the same time thrilling the crap out of me; I was hooked. I remember a second ride a few years later with my other brother on his Suzuki TS 185, when we came around a corner on a two lane road and there was a VW Bus putting across on the cross street. The driver saw us, panicked, and decided to stop in the middle of intersection leaving no place for my brother to go. He locked the rear (mind you we were two up) slid around the back of the VW got into the oncoming lane, then on to the dirt on the side of the road. My brother stayed upright, corrected it, and we went on our way (it was Sunday and we were going to Church - my Brother later became a Priest, so maybe God was looking out for him). My point is those experiences helped me when I became a motorcyclist; not having them probably would have let me not respect the machine. As you said you need to respect the machine.
Appreciate 0