View Single Post
      05-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #68
Cleveland
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Cleveland, the specs are important because if the product does not meet the specs, I can return it for a refund. Rather simple really. Also, they help us make sense of what we are observing (one way or another)...

It is interesting to hear some modules failed to shut down in your E36/E46 after the ignition was turned off.
The specs on my old battery were as follows:

925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 2400A
28 amp hours
50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Length 6 15/32"
Width 6 7/8"
Height 4 7/8"
Weighs 24 lbs

I want you to understand something...

What happened to me in regards to the slow continuous amp draw, happens in all BMW cars with this type of central CAN-BUS communication system. The commands are embeded in a central processor, and it engages a shutdown of several modules in sequence after the car is shutoff. (like windows shutting down) My service adviser told me there is random fault can occur at anytime when the software commands get jumbled or corrupted. Any module connected to this system could receive a bad signal, and it will hang...

There is nothing you can do about it...it's a random thing that happens from time-to-time.

The good news is, that if it doesn't shut off, it only pulls an amp load in the .3A to .8A range. Many times, we (the car owners) never know this has even occurred...because the draw does not kill the heavy-duty OEM lead acid battery we have in the car.

But when you downgrade to a smaller battery, this issue can begin to show it's head. Your generous safety margins basically evaporate. This was how I figured out I even had this issue. If not for the battery downgrade, I would have never known this was occurring right under my nose.

There is no doubt that Braille makes a good product...but those specs are well...I'll just leave that alone...

Even if you believe they are telling you the truth, you are still sacrificing 60Ah of your 90Ah capacity to fit this smaller battery. (2/3) You are also losing over 150+ CA, and 350 CCA as well. That's huge...

I really hope it all works out, but I've seen this movie before...

I guess I'll just wish you the best then...

Take care.

Last edited by Cleveland; 05-16-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0