03-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #102
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybimmer View Post
You want to give us a car that's state of the art? Be my guest. You want to build the ultimate driving machine? It's going to take more than slapping turbos on existing engines and doubling exhaust pipes. You need to go back to where you came from, sit down with your engineers, and build the next M3 from ground up like you did with the E46 and E92. Wasn't there a youtube video that showed bunch of BMW engineers and gave an overview of the M program and said 90% of the parts in M3 is different than the regular 3 series? I wonder what that percentage is for 1M or the new M5.
No M car has been from the ground up ever. The formula that has been used and will continue to be used is modification of the existing series car. Even the engines share quite a lot in common with "series" engines. The E9X M3 and E60 M5 are the exceptions with regards to a truly original engine and these are gems indeed.

Now that being said they are highly modified versions with all of the key systems that make a car perform being designed just for the M car. However, the percentages common will go up as this is a known major corporate wide effort at BMW - more commonality. This is the the biggest reason we will likely get an I-6 turbo in the F3X M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybimmer View Post
One last thing, I did mention above the same thing. I think everyone here appreciates what scott does, including me. Although it might seem like everyone is attacking scott, by no means that is what we intend to do. Unfortunately he is the only person BMW uses to communicate with us, hence this is the outcome. So my apologies to him if I anyway offended him.
Don't want to get too much into "meta-posting" but I've heard both stories on Scott. 1. He works for BMW and 2. That BMW has officially acknowledged that he DOES NOT work for them. He obviously has some insights most of us don't.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0