07-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #48
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
You mention that torque isn't a problem. Can you speak at all to how well/quickly the engine spins up with it's "lightened drivetrain"?
Also, very glad to hear about the exhaust noise. Love the pseudo-exotic mention. Any more detail on this would be welcome.
So, the Bamboo interior is more coffee like? That is a good thing. Was the leather supple or more rigid?
Driving uphill around very twisty corners it was quite happy dropping no lower than 3rd, from here it would pull and pull, becoming savagely urgent from around 6000 rpm. At 8300 rpm it is still pulling strongly and I got the feeling that BMW could easily have let the rev limit be 9000 rpm if they wanted to. It spins up there much quicker than the E46 M3, and although it doesn't drive like a big-capacity engine you never really find yourself having to change down just to make rapid progress.

It sounds like a mix between a Ferrari V8 and an M5. Nothing else in BMW's range sounds anything like it, and the engine could easily be slotted into something very exotic looking and feel right at home.

The Leather was nice and soft, very good to the touch and softer than Nappa leather. I really liked Bamboo it was darker than BMW's usual beige colours but in an expensive way if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0