Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
In your shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I know there are threads about the GTR v M3. But I am more asking for advice as it relates to me and my situation.

I am looking at the M3 with many options say it's $71K plus tax. I can trim off maybe $3K say a low price ~$68K plus tax. Mainly it's up for me do decide if I should get the M-DCT or the 6MT

I have shopped for the GTR and a few dealers wanted $95K (ish) but I have one that's willing to go +$5K over msrp so that's around $77K (ish).

I know there are people that won't pay over msrp but leave that aside just look at the results $71K M3 (with DCT) v $77K GTR

The GTR includes everything that is optional on the M3 such as navi, active shocks, premium sound, bluetooth, DCT etc..

So I look at the price difference just ~ $7K or $8K more for a GTR.

For which the GTR has more power/speed, AWD, more rare, maybe more street cred (?).

what am I looking for?

I like speed/power and I like to have a car that's somewhat looked at as status but not too much (I mean not like an Aston) although that's not to say I don't like Aston/Ferrari etc.. but I don't want the image of being rich-ie rich so a middle car around $75K +/- is what I am looking for.

I don't race on the street or on the track. I like quick and feeling of power but it's for my own enjoyment. In other words if I get a GTR I'm not going to looking for Z06s or Ford GTs to test it against. If I do go fast it's just for what I am feeling of accleleration and maybe a M3 feels quick (in isolation) I mean it's not like I'll feel bad knowing I don't have a car that can run door to door with a Z06.

I mean when I'm driving, if I want to dust off a car, I like some power just to go. But I don't mean I'm looking for the fastest car in the world. Specifically I have lived with a S2000 for almost 6 years. I would like some more pep than it has but I didn't upgrade to a Z06 for example b/c that aspect is not my main concern.

While I like the awd of the GTR, I think that' my biggest area of what I may like it's not like I am only looking for an awd car. I have other cars to drive in the snow so the awd would mainly be a tool to make the GTR more east to drive (more secure), but I don't think awd is magic like I know if you go past the limits with either car you can go off road.

I don't really push 9/10th any way. I mean even with my S2000, I don't drive as fast as the car is able. So it's just I like brisk back-roads and some quick accelerations but not racing.

Why you may ask don't I save so much and just get a 335i or such? Well I am a car nut. I always want the higher cars but have not got one yet. I am always too cheap. This time I want to go long and I don't plan to buy a lot of fancy cars in my life. I mean perhapse the M3 or GTR would be my best car ever. So I don't want to cheap out time after time.

So my question is the GTR sooo much better than the M3? Or is it a matter of preference? I mean if not actually racing will the M3 be as fun? Will the M3 be more luxurious or better built?

Do people think only one way or can you see being torn trying to decide if the price difference is less than $10K.

thanks.
I was in your exact situation. I got allocation for both cars and the dealers where pushing for a decision. After a lot of research and seeing both cars in person (I went to asia), I wame up with the followings. I compared both cars in the following aspects:
  1. On paper: The GTR wins period. It has got a ton more horsepower to play with. Yes, it has a heavier body, but the sheer umph of the turbo charged engine can hide its extra weight with ease. If its 0-60 times you are looking for, this is your buy. Take out your check book and don't read on.
  2. Trackdays: I know that you don't take your cars to the track, but what people finds in track tests can reflect deeply on how the car will handle during your weekend road slicing episodes. The GTR wins flatout once again. A veryon beating 7:38 lap on the Nurburgring can send the M3 back to its garrage. The raw grunt of that V6 with its blowers pulls the chubby car out of corners withou even trying hard. And there is the never yielding traction of the AWD; it simply removes all the bends in a track. The computer (the most powerful in any production car) will send power to wherever the grip is. If you can drive on your xbox, you can throw the GTR around with the same ease. The M3, on the other hand, requires much more talent to tame. If there is a single let down while cornering with the R35 is its tendency to plow on higher speed turns. But there is nothing a generous step on the throttle can't cure.
  3. On the road: Despite its outstand performance on the track, the GTR is a much more civilized car on the road than the M3. Unlike the M3 which constantly reminds you that you are in a sports car, the GTR soaks up the imperfections on the surface of the roads and lets you relax. Both cars have enough horses packed under the hood to rocket you pass the mini-van on a two lane road through the smallest of gaps. But with that much more power, the GTR gives you that much more confidence. Another one for the GTR.
  4. Trim: The interior of both rides is by no means shabby. It's what you'd expect at this price range. The bimmer comes with the iDrive to give a cleaner interior with less buttons; however, if you are a big fan of hi-tech gizmos, the GTR will quench your thirst more. It is at best a tie in this aspect if the extra gadgets in the Nissan doesn't get your vote.
  5. Bling: If it's exclusivity you are after, think carefully. It only depends on where you are. In the US, the GTR rules, but it's another story in Asia. GTRs are omnipresent. An M3 on the other hand will summon much more attension.

Wow, the GTR trumphs over the M3 in almost all area. So, guess which dealer I wrote my check to? Yes! I got the M3 in white. And no, I'm not insane. I'm simply after different qualtities.

What closed the deal was driver involvement. Like you, I have other cars that I can use everyday or in the snow. The M3 is purely a fun car for me. Compared to the GTR, the steering is much more direct and communicative. The high reving V8 also gets my heart. You need to constantly fiddle with the gears to find where the torque is. And this certainly an equation for euphoria.

Journalists' claims of the GTR driving itself around corners is perhaps an exaggeration, but handling the M3 does require much more attension. The Nissan is like a housewife; you'll have the confidence that she'll do what needs to do to get things done: grocerys, get the kids, and laundary - business as usual. She gets the job don't without you worrying about anything. The Bimmer, on the other hand, is a difficult bitch who would turn around and slap you on the face as soon as she senses any lack of attension from you. It is by no means as crude and raw as a Lotus or Aerial Atom, but if you want performance, you need to earn it. Work hard enough and you will be rewarded with the feeling of in complete control. This feeling is precisely what driving enthusists - me included - wants.

Okay, I've picked the M3; the easy part is over. Now the hard part: be faithful to the 6 speed manual or be tempted by the blistering quick up-shifts od the MDCT.
Appreciate 0