View Single Post
      07-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #102
haen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
So my question is the GTR sooo much better than the M3? Or is it a matter of preference? I mean if not actually racing will the M3 be as fun? Will the M3 be more luxurious or better built?
The GT-R is much faster than the M3 but they are very different cars from a dynamic standpoint.

You want to buy one of the fastest track cars so you can do the occasional highway pull? If you never go to the track, the performance advantage of the GT-R is a waist and that's the whole appeal of the car. With the GT-R, you're going to have to live with its super stiff track tuned suspension. I've heard people say that the GT-R has the stiffest suspension they had ever experienced in a road car. The GT-R was designed for the race track first, and everything else second. Of course, if you've been commuting in a S2k for the last 6 years, you're used to lack of creature comforts.

The M3 is far from perfect but I think it makes more sense coming from a S2000. The M3's V8 is just a more grown up version of the S2k's I4. Both will rev to the moon but the M3's much larger and flatter torque curve is going to make regular driving a lot more enjoyable.

To be honest, I think you should get a S5. It's AWD, very fast, more comfortable and better looking than both the M3 and GT-R. Plus, you can now get that car with a DSG transmission. The GT-R and even M3 are too hardcore for what you're looking for. Don't take that as an insult. If you went to the track on occasion, I would say get the M3. If you went to the track all the time, I would recommend the GT-R. For a track free lifestyle, I think the S5 is your car. Of course this my opinion on the matter. I just don't see the point of high performance cars if all you do is drive them in traffic. Go check out the S5 at your Audi dealer. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
Appreciate 0