View Single Post
      11-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #56
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I just had the exact same issue installing PFC '08 pads in my new set of Stoptech ST-40 front calipers. I had to tap each pad into its slot with a rubber mallet (more than a few taps). The brakes seem to be working fine but I was also nervous that this might cause a pad to get stuck in the caliper and not engage the rotor with as much force as it's supposed to. I am all for tight tolerances but this is ridiculous. I can't place all of the blame on Stoptech, though I wish they had designed these with a bit more clearance.

Interestingly 3/4 of the Stoptech street pads I had in came out just fine but one took quite a bit of effort to get out. I am now realizing that it might be a nightmare getting the PFC 08's back out since they are so tightly clamped into the pad slots. I guess I can always take the calipers off but that seems like a lot of effort on my part for a kit I purchased to make pad swaps easier!! <frustration!>

I guess once I get these out I will dremel the paint off each side of the backing plates and see if that helps.

Does anyone think this might pose a dangerous situation where the pads might get stuck on brake application? The pads are tighter than I would like but they are performing fine on the street in both light and hard brake applications.

BTW, I am heading to the track for the first time in this car next weekend so need to consider my options quickly, any advice is appreciated.
Based on how tight my pads were when I installed them I didn't think it was safe to leave them in like that, so I decided to pull them out this morning. I'm glad I did as they were jammed in there tight and ultimately I think they were unsafe.

I had to remove my calipers to get them out and even then had to hammer on them with a large rubber mallet to get them out after I had removed the calipers. I dremeled each side well past the paint and continued test fitting them until they slid back in with minimal rubbing on the sides. Everything is good now but I wanted to put this out there for those that have a similar issue.

I don't think it's safe to have pads installed so tightly, they should be able to wiggle around a bit so that when you hit that brake pedal there is no doubt the pistons will move them.

Super frustrated I had to do this but I think my setup is much safer now and I'm glad I put in the extra work to get this fixed correctly.

Best of luck to others with this same issue.
Appreciate 0