View Single Post
      07-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Jeffa32
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

M3 E93 vs F10 M5

I have been considering changing from an E93 to an F10 M5 to accommodate a growing family.

Having not driven an F10 before, my friend offered to lend me his for the day so I could get a good feel for the car before making a decision.

I genuinely thought this decision would be a no brainer and had already found a year old car which I was serious about buying.

To put this post in context, I don't use my E93 a great deal. 3 mile commute to the station and then out on the weekends with a couple of the kids. If we go anywhere as a family, we take the SUV. The roads where I live are country lanes.

The F10 was awesome. I loved the luxury over the E93, the HUD was great and touches such as soft close doors.

What about the power ? This was the interesting part. The M5 was very fast, but found it uninvolving compared to the E93. Almost case of it wasn't about outright speed but how it achieved it. The speed in the F10 was symbolised by the speedo, whereas the e93 was more involving especially the sound.

The handling was also very different for the roads I drive on. The F10 wasn't as much fun around twisty country lane. You could certain feel the size difference Again - not as involving to drive.

What is perfection?

The engine note of the M3
The handing of the M3
The ride quality of the M5
The torque of the M5
The gadgets and luxury of the M5

Perhaps this is what the M4 will be ??

The F10 is no doubt a superb car and, if I was doing serious miles, it would be a no brainer. But for lower miles around twisty lane with the roof down on a sunny day, I just couldn't give up the E93.
Appreciate 0