10-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
well basically it can be done with low aperture and focusing on your subject and all the rest will be out of focus.

search for "bokeh" and you will find tutorials to explain it better
'bokeh' is a bad road. i don't know why people are so obsessed with that term.

http://www.dslrtips.com/

OP, try reading that.

when getting a DEFOCUSED background, there are quite a few factors. first, and one of the most important, is aperture of the lens (especially as it pertains to the focal length)

The term 'depth of field' comes into play here. when there is a larger aperture (counterintuitively, a larger aperture is a smaller number, so f/3.5 is a larger aperture than f/5.6), more light is allowed in through the lens, but the depth of field is narrower. this means that the plane of objects in focus decreases proportionally to the increase in the size of the aperture. So, with your kit lens, your aperture is f/3.5 at 18mm. That's not a particularly low aperture, but your ability to get a defocused background depends on how close the object is that you are taking a picture of. if you are taking a portrait of someone at 10 feet, for example, at f/3.5 and 18mm, you will almost certainly not have the 'blurred' background you're searching for. now, it will be partially defocused, but most objects will still be readily identifiable. however, a subject at 10 feet and f/3.5 with a 200mm lens WILL result in a noticeably blurred background. i don't care to type a novel here, as others have done it in several places on the web (including that site i posted), but this should give you a general idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
OK STOP!

Shallow depth of field is done with aperture and not lenses.

What ever you do, buy her this book to go with it so you both can understand how to use the camera and get the shots you want.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_30PRmkOl4r...ropped-men.jpg
aperture is a function of the lens...
Appreciate 0