07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
the real polluters are the diesel rigs that are used at 500k miles a year for commerce delivery.

I used to do work in Auto industry and did some research on the pros/cons versus electric. Go find a Prius owner that will have to change the batteries soon and get their opinion. The Otto cycle (conventional) gas engine is def the least efficieny of other gas engine designs; however, nowadays auto companies have cut down emissions to almost nothing. Again see Honda. I also lived in LA at some time and yes your smog is terrible, but now, in 2013, there's much worse out there than the polluting of a 2000 and up Honda Civic. We need reform in the major transportation fields (planes/trains/large diesel rigs). Cars still pollute, but the impact is less than you may think. This administration and media has driven the hype of the electric car, but until we better the tech. of lithium ion batteries, its a lost cause.

Shit, my iphone can't last a full day!!!!

Consider the following:

I live in FL; we don't really have traffic, but we commute much further distances due to everyting being far away. I also drive for work. How far am I going to get each day while also having to stop at 30 min intervals to chrage a car. Very counterproductive if you ask me. I Could go on for days, but don't like typing so I'll stop here.

Oh yeah, electric cars are silent.. think about that one. No more engine noise/muffler swaps, etc. Sucks.
Sure they're fast as electric motors are instant torque, so it's like a golf cart, instant speed but will drop off fast.

The future should be in small displacement turbo and supercharged motors. Even compounding turbocharging and super turbocharging together (see Jag concept).
Agree with the trucks being big culprits, since they're not controlled as much as passenger vehicles.

COMBINED, they are the cause of 21.6% of the US emissions:
http://www.wri.org/image/view/9528/_original

The pros of this is it's something we can change immediately by just changing what we drive. That being said, I will shop for a car that fits my budget AND needs, so electric is not yet for me.

BUT if enough people switch and there's enough demand, the tech will continue evolving until it's commercially viable to adopt electric vehicles for freight. You say we need better battery tech. I agree with you on this. But it's only through demand for more electric vehicles that companies will invest in R&D. I see it as a chicken and egg thing.

Also about emissions: I dare you to connect the exhaust of your vehicle to a mask and put that mask on... see how long you last. THAT is the stuff we breathe.

I don't see how your phone relates to this discussion...

Btw, how long is your daily commute? Model S has an EPA range of 265 miles. My M3 goes 275 miles on a tank of gas...

About electric being silent... yeah, the exhaust tone is gone. This is not bad, just different. Test drive one, you'll see.
When the exhaust is gone you hear other sounds, like the wind rushing by, the tires rolling. I love the exhaust tone of my M3 but would definitely not mind hearing those other things.
Imagine how much quieter cities would be!

Electric motors have instant torque indeed! This is one of the best features. No gas car I have ever driven compares in this matter. For the US this is ideal since we don't go over 100.

Hopefully my next car will be electric.

EDIT: Addressing the Prius battery issue, I can't comment on that particular battery since I'm not familiar with it, but Telsa Roadster owners report around 2.9% drain/year
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/for...-2008-roadster

Last edited by Bleen; 07-05-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0