02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Still viscous coupled, so won't be as durable or likely as effective as a true mechanical clutch type diff.

If the diff is the same as the e46 diff, there are some good threads on the other m3forum regarding this. However, I do believe the e9x has more lock than the e46 lsd?
It is a variable lock up it can be anywhere from 0 to 100% lockup. A normal clutch type diff cannot do that on the fly.

And unlike a torsen the m diff doesn't determine available lockup based entirely on coefficient of friction. For example if you lift a rear wheel with a torsen the diff is effectively a nomal open diff. The m diff engages lockup based on wheel speed like a clutch type diff under these conditions.

While the diff uses a viscous fluid it operates in a completely different fashion from a vlsd.

Fragility in a racing enviornment (track days aren't racing enviornments) seems to be the m diffs downfall; and I suspect like a viscous diff extreme operating temperatures hamper performance.

But for a street and hpde car it's a very good diff and I doubt you would see a performance improvement going to a torsen or normal clutch type diffs.