regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You can see more about people with the click noise here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412843

(Page 12 is where I posted the pictures of the valves that came out of my car).

My check valves were replaced 10-15k miles ago as customer pay because I wanted to see if it got rid of that noise. It didn't. A waste of $1100 but was worth knowing that they were not faulty.

Many 08's when left cold for awhile make a not so pleasant noise on start. I can record a few others if you like.

This thread has nothing to do with my motor and I'm simply sharing my experience, it's not intended to start an argument with you. I'm happy not to post anymore if sharing my experiences will have such a result. As an M3 owner myself of 5 years, I'm just as interested as everyone else in learning more about these issues.

I've spoken with three shop foremans and they advised that new motors are filled with 10w60.
I have been unable to find Bmw documentation that specifies that the break-in oil for the S65 as something different than 10w60.

Thanks
Thanks for the clarification of customer expense on the check valves. The whole notion of changing a perfectly running motor and then rebuilding it anyways before reusing it -- "just because" -- still doesn't make any sense. But we can leave it at that.

I've never found anything that specifies S65 break-in oil. Current TIS only tells you that no special break in oil is required. But the image posted on post-9, note-3 is a direct export from TIS circa 12/2007 - 01/2008. At that time, TIS unequivocally says the break-in oil as 5W30 for S85. I asked the question of sunsweet earlier whether S65 would have a different break in oil than S85, and if so...why? He never answered.
Appreciate 0