View Single Post
      01-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #61
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I wouldn't agree that an M3 is merely a tuned 3 series, I think if you read up about the differences you will find there is quite a lot of differences and this is not just the mechanics.

The respect I am talking about is the years of being top of it's sector against some tough competition and the present competition the new M3 is facing is it's toughest yet. The 335i is a brilliant machine but it's only as good as an Audi S5 when cost is taken out of the equation as it's only in the States that it's price is so different and in most areas it's isn't even as good as it. I will agree that for day to day driving it's engine feels stronger and more willing to accelerate and that when tuned it's the quicker in a straight line but even you can look at the figures and see that it's a full 20 seconds slower on the ring. Even giving the 335i the same tyres will only drop that to 15 seconds at best.

The M3 is a different animal, it's a true driver's car instead of being the best normal 3 series available, which by the way isn't a bad title to hold.
Really, exactly what differences are not mechanical? Style? Nothing tuners won't address if you prefer. Heck, I can already even order a CF "power dome" hood!

At Kyalami, South Africa F1 certified track, the 335i Sedan was tested within 1 second lap times of the M3. 1 second. Because this track is at altitude, penalizing the M3 in power more than the 335i thus narrowing the stock-for-stock power gap, I take this to mean all the additional aspects of the M3...wider, better tires, LSD, EDC, M-badge, etc... all added up to 1 second. I also take this to mean that when I add a nice A/M suspension, power upgrades, wheel/tire upgrades, even without the LSD I would expect at least 1 second in improvement.

Nordschleife times are very HP dependent due to the high speed nature of the track, and of course tires. I'd be willing to bet that an equivalent power/tire/suspended 335i would at least = the M3. We will find out over the next year as track reports come rolling in.

I agree, World's best 3 series is a great title to have, because that also implies world's best sport sedan and practical sized coupe.

As far as your "animal" comment, I've been reading that over and over again in the 335i Forced Induction forum...right after someone adds one of the various power options available. I said it after moving to lightweight forged wheels, shedding 44 lbs of unsprung weight in the process. e46 M3 drivers said it to me at the track.
Appreciate 0