bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
If that was really your first track day, I wouldn't worry too much about chasing times. Being faster than race prepped mustangs just means your friends are really slow. The worst thing for a track newbie is over-confidence. I've seen it happen far too often and those are the guys who end up getting their cars towed back home.

My first few track days completely humiliated me as a driver, which in turn humbled me greatly. There's just so much to learn and being fast takes years and years to master. Every time I think I'm pretty fast with a new personal best, there's a guy in a slower car that is faster. Once you get faster, trying to shave off a tenth of a second feels impossible. Then one day you follow a faster car around the track and end up being a whole second faster. Welcome to the world of performance driving.
+1

Very true. I asked the question to determine how good the OP was driving or really how bad the guys in the Mustangs were. It's easy to become overconfident and you always have to bring yourself down to earth or situations happen like the guy in the video.

NOLA is a relatively safe track because it is flat with a lot of runoff and only two areas where you can have a major impact with a barrier/wall. There is so much to learn in car control and it's best to take is slowly.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0