11-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
These guys seem to think differently for sure based on their comparison and test drive of the Enzo vs. the MC12 on the Ring, which appearently have the same chassis and drivetrain (I didn't know that), but the Enzo has ceramic brakes and the MC12 doesn't. They complain about fade with the MC12, which they attribute to the steel rotors.

http://www.supercarmovies.com/html/interface.html
Honestly I did not even watch the video but I still ave a reply ready (does that make me automatically wrong or cocky?). Drivers and journalists are not always correct and are know to speculate as well.

Brake pads need to have properties that are tailored to the temperatures they will see. In this regards track pads have it easy as they often only have to work well warm to hot, maybe just hot only depending on the track. Street pads are obviously different. Of course the pad is developed to match the rotor in terms of friction, wear and material transfer but the rotor material is not the magic - it is the pad. So again CC rotors provide: decreased weight, increased lifetime and great resistance to warpage from heat. Fade is caused by pad and/or fluid problems. Assuming the pads were properly matched to the rotors and that both systems were adequately cooled and all else was apples the apples fade should be similar. So in conclusion I would simply bet the pads were not up to the task. They were surely different pads but I'd say different but not equal.
Appreciate 0