07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
So many questions..
try bodybuilding.com (just ignore the "MISC" section as that is mostly kids (or adults that act like kids).

the above has some good ideas - but.. As a beginner, you may want to consider starting with the 3 basic lifts... bench, deadlift, squats and go through them for a few weeks to get used to lifting, then once you get the hang of that add some extra stuff in around biceps/triceps, abs, lower back, shoulders and calfs.
I resent that But i agree that he should focus on the compound lifts to build strength first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post

Goal is just to get into shape and moderately bulk up and get some tone into my muscles. I have a BMI of ~20 with little to no muscle, so you can tell that I'm pretty damn skinny. It's probably too early to put numbers to it, but I'd like to gain 20-30 lbs of muscle.

There's no such thing as "toning" your muscles. The "tone" comes after you cut body fat, which makes your muscles appear more defined. If you say you want to bulk, eat a ton of food and hit the weights hard. Since you're a beginner, focus on the compound lifts to get some basic strength and size.

Also, don't mean to be negative, but gaining 20-30 muscles will take years and years to accomplish, and may not even be possible. Dave Goodin is a 52 year old natural (supposedly) bodybuilder who has been lifting for over 30 years, and he says he's put on 25-30 pounds of muscle.

Day A: Back/Biceps/Quads/Gluts -> this means squats, bicep curls, triceps, rowing, lower back, and a Glut exercise that someone taught me (leg lifts is the name?). I'd like to add deadlift but I'd like to have someone walk me through it in person first.

I wouldn't do a full body workout if I were you, break your workout into a 3 or 4 day split. After heavy squats, I'm pooped and wouldn't be able to do the rest of the workout effectively.

Day B: Chest/Shoulders/Abs -> that means bench press, chest press, crunches

Do you mean military press? I'm not a fan of doing chest/shoulders in the same day because your shoulders are worked a decent amount during bench press and especially incline bench. I would maybe do chest/back.

So far, progress is good. I've gained about 5 lbs over 1.5 months, which appears to be all or mostly muscle. I'm also trying to combine it with an effective diet: turkey or chicken for dinner, pasta or sandwich for lunch, no sodas, no booze, fruits + cereal as snacks.

Again, don't mean to be a downer, but about 5 lbs of muscle in 1.5 months is not gonna happen. The 5 lbs came from water weight, glycogen, some fat and muscle. Seems like you have your diet in check though, which is just as important as lifting.
Appreciate 0