04-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #83
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
In spite of the histrionics, you should pay closer attention, as this has been addressed at least twice by me, and once by Swamp, I believe.
So much of what has been posted has been sour that I tuned out and missed the useful info it seems. Thanks for reiterating your view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
The new M3 engine has the flattest and broadest torque curve I have ever seen on a normally aspirated street engine. Much broader and flatter than the LS3, and it's significantly better in that regard than even the better Japanese offerings - which previously set that mark of goodness, as far as I know. The last M3 engine was no slouch either, but can't come close to this one.
So, it does sound like you agree that the the new M3 engine is superior in design in this respect?

P.S. I should also add that I wish my car was about 300lbs lighter every time I sit in it. The strange thing is that it really performs like a beast when you push it (not necessarily redline performance, just need to give it close to WOT if you recall our previous discussion) as the numbers indicate. Very agile and precise in all respects. It does feel a bit like a cruiser when you don't push it though, and you kind of go, "damn, I wish this thing was 300lbs lighter" despite the fact that you know it's a performer. It is kind of a strange feeling... I'm not sure if I am exactly okay with that or not, but I know its utility was a big factor in my decision to buy it. It really is two cars in one.

On that line of thinking, if I were to ever mod this car, I would try to find drastic ways of reducing weight rather than adding more power (maybe replacing the front seats at some point for instance). Less weight would surely have a much more significant impact on driving enjoyment than more power in this case. The engine is definitely the car's highpoint anyway, and I would refrain from messing with it too much.

Last edited by lucid; 04-15-2008 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0