View Single Post
      07-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #76
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
The CSL has the potential to be quite a bit lighter (using aluminum and/or CF for many more body panels, thinner glass, less sound deadening, no back seat, carbon seats with no power adj), with much stiffer, lighter and racier suspension, combined with cranking the V8 up to 450 HP (which would still only be 112.5 HP/liter vs. about 116 HP/liter for the GT3's engine) and adding carbon ceramic brakes (much lighter, plus better stopping). This should bring the M3's weight down from 3600s to 3300s (still 100-200 lbs more than the GT3, but close) and, with M engineering and 450 HP, it should at the very least match the GT3's track and street performance.

Now THAT may be worth $90K!
I dont know. I dont think the weight savings for the E92 CSL will be as great as they were for the E46 CSL. Keep in mind that the new M basically has plastic and aluminum body panels already. The drive shaft and suspension components are already hollow forged aluminum. The roof is already CF. I think the E92 CSL will get most of its performance from extra HP. I have a feeling that the new V8 has plenty of potential. But, I just watched the TOP GEAR review of the CSL and realized that it just would never be the car for me (of course I cant get one in the states). Even Jeremy alluded to the fact that its an impractical car for anything but the track or racing around on twisty roads. I like air conditioning and music when I drive. I also enjoy not having to worry about my trunk caving in because I put too much weight on my cardboard trunk floor. Not to mention that you have to sign a disclaimer saying you understand the tires perform poorly in the rain and anything but warm weather. Yeah yeah you can change the tires, put in a stereo, and AC but then your almost back to where you started. More and more I realize how great the BMW M3 CS really is as a good compromise between the two worlds. I also realize how great the new M3 is going to be.

Jason