View Single Post
      12-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #102
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
I have yet to read a convincing argument as to why the GT-R is not a direct competitor to the E92 M3. They are both relativlely large, high-performance coupes with back seats and a primary focus of superior handling and speed coupled with aggressive looks, reasonable utility and a good degree of creature comforts. They both offer a lot of electronic gizmos, but neither is particularly luxurious compared to true luxury machines. The only 2 real arguments that these cars are not direct competitors are: 1) there is a certain camp of badge whores who will not buy anything that doesn't have a BMW emblem or otherwise originate from Europe; and 2) the GT-R's performace is leagues beyond the M3's. Sure, the M3 may be a bit more civilized as a daily driver, but the same comparisons can be made with regard to many cars that compete within the same segments. Also, The GT-R may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, but that does not mean it is not a competitor. The Z06 analogy is so off-point that it's barely worth discussing - the Z06 is a 2 seat car that is significantly smaller and lighter than the M3 or GT-R.

I am a former E46 M3 owner - it was, IMO, the second best car I have owned (a very close second to my 335). I am obviously a big BMW fan, but some of the folks here have been drinking the BMW kool-aid way to much. Face it folks, the GT-R is a segment buster, and being a Nissan only diminishes that accomplishment in the minds of those who value image more than substance. I don't fault anyone for preferring the M3 to the GT-R (I think the M3 is better looking inside and out, and it could possibly be more fun/involving to drive), but at least acknowledge that fact that these two cars ARE competing, and, from a performance aspect, it's no contest.
I agree. I'm actually glad that its being marketed as a Nissan. It keeps all of the brand whores at bay.
Appreciate 0