View Single Post
      02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #102
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

For my kids I tell them to do what they want. Try to find something which will satisfy them. I believe it's different for different people. You want to be a ski bum? Hey, it's your life, so do what you want. You want to be a surgeon? Great, I'll even pay for that. Lawyer? Please re-think your decision

For sure, I wouldn't recommend medicine for it's financial benefit. I believe you give up way too much for just the financial benefits. Four years of medical school and six years of training takes a huge chunk of your life. Those 10 years were not fun. Sure there were times when it was very gratifying. However there was also an ungodly amount of work, extreme stress, and a lot of times, dehumanizing.

After college, I worked for a couple years for a very prestigious firm in systems and management consulting. There is no way you can compare that stress to the ones you face in medicine. Nothing to take away from people in business, but it's just the fact.

As for 200K/year starting, that may be the norm for surgical fields, but you choose primary care and you are not going to make anywhere near that. My wife as an OB/Gyn worked like a dog and barely made 120K. After 6 years, she tried to work part time for the kids, (which was still 30 hrs/week) and made 60K (her malpractice insurance was 125K/year). After taxes, that's what we paid our nanny. Family practitioners, Internists, OB-Gyn, and pediatricians are all struggling. Imagine, coming out with 200K in loans and making 100K/year. It's not a pretty picture.

I do still like what I do. As I said, using a skill to help someone that not many can do and has taken thousands of hours to hone is very gratifying. However, you do have to be prepared for the financial and personal sacrifices, which are unique in medicine.

My wife on the other hand, would definitely not do medicine again and in fact has quit. Having to deal with the huge cost of malpractice and having to practice defensive medicine kind of took the wind out of her sail.
Appreciate 0