View Single Post
      01-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #50
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
Not sure about that. Porsche uses larger pads and they cool better due to size. The M3 comes with tiny crappy pads (crappy for repeated brake use like at the track), and replacing them is a step in the right direction, but they will still be tiny and take a while to cool. If the M3 had a great brake cooling system you could maybe get away with such small pads, but it doesn't. So IMO the M3 needs larger calipers in order to hold larger pads in order to cool better. This is the real world. Porsche got it right, BMW didn't on the M3. Yes, track pads will improve, but they will still not be that great due to small size.
If Porsche had such a bulletproof brake system,how come I was changing front rotors every 3-4 track days because of cracking due to heat.The real issue here that if you are going to play on the track,you must pay regardless of what car you are using.
The other factor here is that my 996 had only 300 bhp and weighed 3200lbs and had brake "issues" even though it was much slower in a straight line than the M.A heavy car will go through many more consumables
on track than a lighter car.I had a race car that we pulled 400lbs out of due to rule changes and difference in component life was quite remarkable,not to mention the decrease in lap times.
Appreciate 0