01-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #68
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Rldzhao, what one really needs to know is the effective spring stiffness vs. displacement. As I've said earlier, if you plot the force vs displacement curve for the H&R springs+stock bumpstops, you'll see that you will run into the really steep part of the curve sooner (the bumpstop curve will probably look like two straight lines with distinct slopes; the slope of the second line at larger displacement will be significantly higher than the slope of the line at smaller displacement). I appreciate you documenting H&R's answer, but I still think messing with the force vs. displacement curve in a significant way, especially during the initial displacement interval, without retuning the dampers is not sound. Nothing in their answer suggests they are doing the right thing here.

The other thing is that the H&R guy is making claims about how the Dinan bumpstops behave. Has he actually seen/tested one of them? How does he know how they behave exactly? I sure don't know, and would like to find out, but I suspect that he doesn't know either.
Lucid,

Do you feel that Dinan accounted for this force vs. displacement curve or do you think they have also messed with the curve in a significant way and thus are an issue as well without retuning? Really would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0