05-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #53
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I would say you'll be fine in France if you watch other traffic and slow when they do or watch for the speed camera signs. The only people I have ever seen zapped by the fixed cameras are UK plated drivers. Almost all fixed camera sites are very clearly posted about 400-500 meters from the camera box (the box may be empty but you'll only find out for sure if you trip it). Many small towns have a camera right as you enter town...considering how small and tight the roads are, you'll want to slow down anyway to avoid the kids/etc. The locals won't slow down and will tailgate you all through their own small village...speeding by their own neighbors and kids.

Also, watch cars parked on the side of the road, the police set up mobile cam units frequnetly by the side of the road -- you can sometimes spot by looking for the white rectangle cut into the tailgate/trunk for the flash. Just pretend you're looking for IEDs roadside...the cars are manned, so if they see a tourist plated car drive by after the picture gets taken, they will have you pulled over to collect the fine on the spot.
1) Yes, these signs look like the pics below.

2) Note also that these cars are being used in Switzerland....don't ask how I know!
Attached Images

Last edited by MTROIS; 05-17-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0