View Single Post
      11-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #70
JonNYC
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Cabrio

caused ticking

So, yesterday I went to a local well-known mechanic for an oil change on my 25K-mile 2012 e93 M3.

He had ordered the TWS but it hadn't come in so he asked if I want to try the Liqui-moly.

Long story short; as soon as the new oil went in I noticed a "ticking" from the engine-- another tech that was consulted described it as "morse code" Pretty loud actually-- and mechanic was flummoxed.

I did some searching last night and also had the good fortune (incredible fortune, I'd say!) to run into a different customer at the shop who told me that Liqui-Moly had made his brother's (non-M) car make the exact same noise-- maybe even louder.

Accordingly, we decided to dump the day old oil and put in TWS-- know what? Ticking gone instantly and mechanic agreed engine just instantly sounded better and quieter instantly.

Now I know people swear by the stuff-- and I'm no mechanic myself (even at the most basic level) BUT the mechanic in question will be well-known to many forum folks-- especially those from NY, Martin at MNC performance.

He recorded the sound and captured the day-old oil to send it back to Liqui-moly to see if they have any opinions.

Certainly possible that something is slightly wrong with my engine and, that-- for some reason-- makes it work better with the TWS. No idea. But there's simply no doubt that in my case, Liquid-Moly was a problem and TWS made the engine run much quieter and smoother. Yes, I know this goes against almost everyone else's experience, but Martin at MNC Performance agreed 100%.

Last edited by JonNYC; 11-08-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0