View Single Post
      08-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #81
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

OK, I will chime in, why not.

On my E36 M3, I had some brake issues with the stock brakes....but only at the track on HOT (110 degrees) day, and long run times. So, I bought a set of StopTechs for the front. I no longer had heat issues after that.

Did the car stop better? No, I could not tell the difference in stopping distance with pad compound being the same.

Did the brakes have better "feel"? A little. I got a bit more feedback from the brakes, but I did install SS lines when I swapped, so that could account for it.

Where they easier to modulate? Yes. For me at least. Again, the SS lines could have influenced that.

Did the increase in rotor surface area and pad size seem keep the heat levels more managable? Yes. That was the big difference I noticed.

As others have stated, the stock set-up is more than adequate for the street and mild tracking. I have no plans to upgrade the braking system. If I had a shit load of cash sitting in the bank, I might. Why not, if you got tons of cash to blow...but it would be more of a bling thing than a performance thing for MOST people, for how MOST people drive the car.

It appears that the stock rotor/caliper design will be more than adequate for MOST track'ers with upgraded pads. However, time will tell the tale on this....I have yet to track the car.....so it is hard to say....but they appear (on paper) to be more than adequate.

After I finish my break-in, I plan on hitting a few events. I will be sure to provide feedback on many aspects of the car at that point.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0